Maybe You Need A Cookie...

So, it's Monday, and some people have a hard time getting the week started right. But I have a solution... Cookies. I had not had cookies in quite a while, and so after trying a delicious recipe that was baked at Whole Foods a few weeks ago, I knew it was something I was going to have to make for myself. And now I want to share that goodness with you!


Pumpkin Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

What You'll Need:
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or regular unbleached flour, or your gluten-free flour of choice)
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (if you don't have pumpkin pie spice, just throw in a blend of ground cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice like I did)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
10 tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil (or butter, if you must... but coconut oil is preferable!)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar (I didn't have this, so I used raw organic cane sugar instead, and it still turned out wonderfully)
1 1/2 cups of canned pumpkin puree (or make your own pumpkin pulp the old-fashioned way! hehe)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 to 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries -- I found that 1 cup was PLENTY for the recipe, but if you like lots and lots of cranberries, then by all means, go the distance!


Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, stir together oats, flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat coconut oil and sugar until light & fluffy, appx. 3 minutes. Add pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla and beat until well-combined. Then stir in flour mixture until just combined (this should be done by hand to avoid over-mixing). Then fold in cranberries. Drop cookies by heaping tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets and gently press with fingers to flatten into normal cookie discs-- these cookies will not drop and spread while baking. Bake about 18-22 minutes, or until very lightly browned. *If baking 2 sheets at a time, rotate sheets halfway through bake time.* Cool on separate plate or wire rack and store in air-tight container, if you can keep from eating all the warm yummy goodness at once!


Serve with a tall glass of almond milk, and you've got yourself a big helping of happy. These also make great breakfast cookies, and are obviously going to be my go-to cookie with which to celebrate autumn splendor henceforth. And imagine these cookies gracing the table at Thanksgiving! I hope you all enjoy these as much as I did!

Comments

Popular Posts