Foodie Week: Day 2

What a crazy morning!
I woke up early-ish to clean the entire house (well, apartment... but it's my home and I refer to it as a house) as my mother will be arriving in town early this afternoon, and also did some diaper laundry. Then the radio indicated a tornado warning just north-northwest of us, and so I looked outside-- and sure enough there were some very dark clouds headed our way. So I took the quickest shower I think I've ever taken in my life-- under 2 minutes, for sure, and maybe even under 60 seconds. Adrenaline pushed me in and out quickly in case lightning struck (I know you all must think I'm crazy for it, but I figured with the nasty weather forecasted for the entire day it may be my only chance to get clean before my mom arrived). Then I quickly fed Caden some Super Baby Food (see yesterday's post) and threw the diapers in the drier. It's been a busy morning already!

And on to the FOOD!

Breakfast:
Cantaloupe -- simple, delicious, filling. And of course, easy to "prepare". (I've got a lovely bunch of cantaloupes, deedly-dee! Hehe...)


Lunch:
Have a salad! Experiment! Any combination of fruits, sprouts, vegetables... And any type of dressing flavor you'd like. This is a re-post of two of my favorite salads ever, thanks to my simple homemade dressings, one of which I referenced at the end of yesterday's post.



Snack:
Simple Shoyu Cukes
I don't have an image of these, but they are delicious! Peel, de-seed, and cut up. Sprinkle on sesame seeds and then splash on some organic nama shoyu. If you're watching sodium levels, buy a low-sodium brand or dilute with a tiny splash of filtered water. These are so tasty and refreshing.

Dinner:
Raw-ish Falafel with Vegan Tzatziki
I say "raw-ish" on this one because normally the chickpeas would need to be soaked and sprouted, but I had some that were cooked and needed to be used, so they were the equivalent of using canned garbanzo beans/chickpeas. And you would normally need a dehydrator, or you can place in the oven on the lowest temperature for several hours with the oven door open. Or if you don't want raw-ish falafel, just go ahead and fry it. But we don't believe in frying things around here. :)

Ingredients: 1.5 cups chickpeas (basically, one can drained, or if going the raw route, need to be pre-soaked around 12-24 hours), 1 cup sunflower seeds (preferably soaked), 1 red onion - optional (we did not use), 1-2 cloves garlic, 1/4 cup fresh parsley - optional, juice of 1/4-1/2 lemon (appx. 2 tbsp), 1/4 of extra virgin olive oil (or more if you want the texture more creamy/smooth and less coarse), 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne (depending on the kick you want!), 1-2 tsp sea salt (or to taste).

Combine all ingredients in the food processor or a high-power blender until it forms a uniform rough paste (if you're using the onions, it's okay for it to still be chunky). Then form into small patties and either fry or dehydrate, or eat totally raw... It'll be like garlicky hummus balls. We had ours with a salad, topped with the vegan tzatziki which was AMAZING. **Please note: a little of this goes a LONG way and one of these plates pictured can easily feed two people. And you will want to add more salad and more tzatziki.


Tzatziki -- 1 6 or 8 oz. container of coconut milk yogurt, 1 cucumber (peeled, de-seeded, and chopped), 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1/4-1/2 lemon juiced, salt and pepper to taste, 1 tsp dill (chopped fresh, if possible), and 1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled. Blend all ingredients until well-combined but not frothy. Transfer to a dish, cover, and chill for approximately 1 hour. Then serve atop Falafel, salad, or just eat by itself with vegetables dipped into it! YUM!

Dessert:
The Flourishing Chocolate Tart (named after my good friend, This Flourishing Life!)




Three different presentations are pictured, and you can choose if you want it with or without raspberries/raspberry drizzle.

Ingredients (these are for 1 personal-sized tart): 2 tbsp raw cacao powder, 1-2 tbsp coconut oil, raw honey, agave, or raw cane sugar to desired sweetness-- I normally use close to 2 tbsp, pinch of sea salt. Mix all ingredients with a spoon by hand and thoroughly combined and let chill until reaching desired solidity. Then top with raspberries, which are about 3 oz. (half of a small container) of organic raspberries blended with the tiniest splash of water and raw honey to taste, about 1 tbsp or more if you'd like more sweet and less tart. Bled and push through a fine sieve to contain the seeds and have a beautiful raspberry sauce!

And that's all for today! Love and blessings!

Comments

Popular Posts